Friday 23 December 2016

SEPTEMBER - SEB

1. KRS One - Return Of The Boom Bap (Outta Here)
2. De La Soul - Stakes Is High
3. Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet
4. Iron Maiden - Powerslave
5. Motorhead - 1916



It's after 11 on a Thursday night, and I don't have to be in to work in the morning. I'm feeling a little disenchanted with the human race in general right now, pissed off at a few things (I'm coming to the conclusion I plain don't like December), and thus seems like a good time to pull out the remainder of that bottle of Chivas Regal, get a little drunk, and little angrier, and put this stupid blog shit to bed once and for all.

Seb is another in the famous circles of DJs & Streetfighters of which I have found myself embroiled. Why is it I only seem to choose interests which only appeals to other guys?
I'm sure most of the people in this circle think the same thing. I've noticed for a while that he ain't no big fan of "the man", and this is reflected in his music choices. The story that always comes to mind when I think of Seb is how a few years ago he didn't want to be included on the Census, so elected to spend the night sleeping on a park bench. That there is a man of principles I guess.
But fair play Seb, I don't know much about Hip Hop, and people have since remarked that "my" taste in Hip Hop is "classic old school". Thanks for that Seb, you've made me look like a legit purveyor of golden era hip hop.

KRS One - Return Of The Boom Bap (Outta Here)

 

Man, this album is most, most excellent. This man has a great lilt to his voice, and some amazing grooves that he raps along to. This is beautiful stuff, the tone seamlessly fits in to the tempo and intertwines with the beat as he gives us his ghetto poetry. And a lot of it actually seems to be about music, and not some heavy political slants. There is some many fantastic tracks on this album that effortlessly flow from one to the other. I was very tempted to make "I Can't Wake Up" my best track of the month, but I have to be fair, "Outta Here" is the track that made me keep turning up this album each time. This is definitely one of the albums I will be returning to time and time again, and I think a visit to KRS One's back catalogue may also be on the agenda.

De La Soul - Stakes Is High




A slightly bizarre album, but extra points for being interesting. I don't think this is as good an album as Public Enemy, but I'm throwing up here above them as I think it's much more varied, and little less political. I've also been told by a lot of people that it's very difficult to buy this album, and it generally isn't available on streams, due to the large amount of samples used. You know a lot of this hip hop, whilst not annoying me too much, I also find doesn't need a lot of concentration or interest from me. This is kinda my version of ambient music, leave it on in the background and let it roll away. I'm actually finding listening back to these last two albums are making me quite chilled and relaxed. Maybe I need to listen to more hip hop. I think it might be good for me. That's probably the opposite of what many politicians assert, but that may not be the first time a politician was wrong about something.

Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet




Right, this stuff is a little more uptempo and charged than the previous two. Whilst I appreciate the muscical style of this album, being a white male listening to an album that seems to be about telling us how the white man is the reason for everything wrong with the world I find a little difficult to commit to. However, the scotch is starting to kick in, and this is starting to make me feel a little angry and disenfranchised. Fuck you whitey, you and your white cops beating down my homies! No matter the content, this stuff has sme great beats and grooves. The vocal style suits perfectly to the music. Whereas a lot of modern rap I hear seems to be guys shouting and trying to sound angry, this stuff recognises the vocal as an instrument to be played with, and mixes in excellently with the beat. This is eminently listenable, well worth a listen through.

Iron Maiden - Powerslave




I'm not sure I'd even heard many of these tracks before, and I'm really not sure it does anything for me. It feels clichéd, and I don't know can I really recommend it for any reason. Makes me think of Van Halen, the sound is almost too clean for me to think of this as metal. I'm not even sure if this is classified as metal or simply hard rock, and I really can't be bothered to open up Google and find out. The first track is still playing as I type this, and I've already lost interest as it goes through. As the album progresses there are some nice licks, but of course they are are repeated over and over for the duration of the track. This ain't no Motorhead I assure you.

Motorhead - 1916




After my previous Motorhead experience, I was not looking forward to this one. Thank the lord above though, this was nowhere near as bad as the last Motorhead album I was inflicted with. I think. Maybe I've just blacked out the memory of my previous Motorhead experience. Thankfully, not every track on here feels like the start of the "Ace Of Spades", but we are listening to Motorhead, so don't nobody here be expecting any kind of musical variety at all. This is like the musical version of Cornation Street. It hard bluesy rock, followed by a little more hard bluesy rock, and polished off with a little bit of hard bluesy rock, just in case you weren't sure if you had enough hard bluesy rock. If you listen to the first track of this album and decide you like it, I have some good news for you - just about every track that follows sounds more or less the same. Motorhead must be the most consistent band in existence.


No comments:

Post a Comment